Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Freezing in the Summer






Ryan's mom and step-dad Gene have an amazing garden this year. Ryan and I chalk that up to their use of compost, to which we often contribute. Whatever the reasons for their success, we luckily reap the benefits. Recently, Ryan and his mom picked a bunch of green beans out of the garden. I froze some last year, sans blanching, and was told that was not a good idea.  This year, I resolved to correctly engage in the bean-freezing process. Join me for the photo montage, will you...?





After washing, we removed the ends and stems.
Ryan is a snapper. I am a knife-wielder. 
















Hot water blanch for 3 minutes.




Ice water blanch for three minutes.



Dry, place in freezer bags (I would love to know of any non-plastic alternatives to this!), remove all air and into the freezer you go!












This winter, perhaps we will be able to enjoy the spoils of a summer garden - complete with properly blanched green beans!

No comments:

Post a Comment