Wednesday, April 22, 2009

What it's all about

Have you ever noticed snippets of time or moments of events unfold and wondered, "Whose life is that?!" I have had several of these moments lately and the truth is: it’s my life, dammit. I have been living in Indiana since November 2005 under semi-traumatic circumstances and strangely/luckily, wonderful and amazing things have happened to keep me here. In the past few weeks, I have heard myself say things such as, "Oh, the red-winged blackbird is back – Spring is here!" and "I totally saw turkey vultures mating on top of an old barn today." Who is this person?!?!?!?! Well, y’all: ‘tis I. My farm-boy (one of the main reasons I have stayed here) has informed me that I am becoming more Hoosier every day. While this may come across as satirical and tongue-in-cheek (and it may be at times) I want to use this blog to chronicle my evolution into a Hoosier. I have become much more ecologically- and self-sufficiency-minded since living here and while I lament that my friends don’t seem interested in coming to visit me out in rural, northcentral Indiana, I appreciate the really cool things I have done and learned and am planning to try even more.

I have to thank both my everlovin’ (the farm-boy) for suggesting I do a blog about this very concept, and my dear friend Kathleen who has been a sublime inspiration to me through her own blog and told me just today that perhaps I should go for it. (I follow Kathleen’s blog – just a small town girl – here. Take a look!!) Earth Day seems like the perfect inaugural posting, anyway!

I lived in St. Louis for a couple years, which I might or might not talk about (it was not pretty) and people in St. Louis use the word "hoosier" as an insult. I endeavor to triumph over this insult, stand tall (or as tall as my short self can be) and embrace & nurture the Hoosier I am becoming. I am.

2 comments:

  1. Hooray! Good for you! Thanks for the shout out and know that I'll be following your blog and loving and supporting the you all the way along! Love! ("I'm nice!")

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is great!!! i will be following your blog...keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete