Friday, May 8, 2009

Bring on Spring!











After the harshest, longest winter I have ever endured, I am so much more than happy to welcome spring. Having lived most of my life in New Mexico and Washington state, I never really had to *deal* with winter. However, the 2008-2009 season in Indiana has officially created a wise winter driver out of me. Having lived in mostly metropolitan areas, I used to bemoan driving a stick in traffic. Now that I have a rural commute, driving a stick is a true fortunate experience in the winter!


This will be my fourth spring in Indiana. What I am looking forward to most is the following:

Morel hunting!

(cross your fingers. Ryan -- a.k.a my everlovin'/the farmboy -- and I found three bags' worth last year, this year could be a bust...)

Berry picking!

(strawberries, blueberries and raspberries)

Gardening!

(don't know what we're going to have yet - garlic, herbs and chiles have been mentioned)

This year will be even more fun because we were generously given canning equipment and we bought a food dehydrator. Last year, through the farms and gardens of our families, Ryan and I did not have to go to the grocery store for more than a few things here and there for about six months! This year, the plan is to freeze, can and dry even more and see how we can last. I am really excited to try all kinds of what we have dubbed suburban homesteading.

Spring also means that I don't have to wait very long for Farmer's Markets.

I have one within walking distance of my apartment and one on the way to work.

Local Food and Local Farms


I am a big proponent of the idea that people should try to eat and support local agriculture. Check out American Farmland Trust above and the 100-mile diet.

One more thing I really want to share: I said in my last post that I might not talk about my time in St. Louis because it wasn't pretty. I have to admit that it was quite difficult at times, but after publishing my first blog, my first follower was a friend I made in St. Louis, and the second comment on my blog was from another friend I made in St. Louis. I am humbled that despite my harsh words, the goodness that was part of my St. Louis experience became clear to me. Thank you, my St. Louis posse, for reminding me that I had the amazing experience of learning about new cultures, laughing 'til I cried, and got through it with you being there for me!

2 comments:

  1. This blog inspires me. I've fallen out of the farmer's market habit since the last time I lived alone. Time to reinvest in the community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this great info! I am fully welcoming Spring in MI and look forward to all of the activities you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete