Saturday, May 30, 2009

I Wana Shipshewana!

It has become a yearly ritual to visit Shipshewana every Memorial Day. Shipshewana is actually a gorgeous area of farmland in northern Indiana and is known for being in "the heart of Amish country." 




Ryan and I go to the world-famous Shipshewana flea market.  We find quite a few treasures. And I tend to use my father's training a la Juarez to make some good deals. 

We have spent the night twice in Shipshewana. It is almost an indescribable experience. It is calm, small, and quiet - except for the clomping of the carriage horses' hooves. 

Amish cooking is also an experience. Noodles, amazing pies, mashed potatoes... 
The Blue Gate Restaurant is a few blocks away from the flea market and has the most excellent banana cream pie I've ever had. Another thing I think is so commendable about Blue Gate is that they make an effort to use local foods for their menu offerings.













I would be remiss if I didn't mention one of the best reasons to go to Shipshewana. JOJO's Pretzels. 

They are so amazingly delicious. I never really knew what their secret to deliciousness was. This year, the pretzels we got were so fresh, we had to wait a few minutes for them to be ready. And it was thus that the secret was revealed:



 Is that not achingly delicious-looking? Also a reason to probably indulge just once a year. 

Next on the agenda for this Hoosier-in-Training: Berry Picking. I plan to do more than just freeze 'em this time around. 

1 comment:

  1. Could we live in two more different places?! Girl, I'm sorry we haven't talked yet. Things have been nuts. I'm in Seattle for the next week. I love and miss you! Let's talk! Also... I want to stay in Shipshewana!

    ReplyDelete